Server length
Hey just curious, what is the lifespan in real time of dreamcraft maps? how frequent are resets, and where are we at with the current map?
(07-01-2015, 08:50 AM)xrandom66x Wrote: Hey just curious, what is the lifespan in real time of dreamcraft maps? how frequent are resets, and where are we at with the current map?

It mostly depends on Minecraft updates. 

The current map has been around since February (about 5 months)

DC 8, which was the previous map, lasted almost 2 years before it was replaced with the current one.

As for the maps before that, most of them were short lived, because they were around when Minecraft was constsntly being updated. After all, DreamCraft has been around since the alpha stages.

Since there haven't been any substantial updates lately, coupled with the fact that we as a staff have many plans to improve the current map, means that we won't be saying goodbye to the map anytime soon.

Hope that answers your question!

-Hawaii
Depending on what updates come out to Minecraft the usual lifespan of a map is 6 months to a year sometimes a year and a half. We are currently on DC9 which has been around about 5 months at this point in time.
yup perfect. just curious because I don't play a whole lot, balancing school and work, yet have some cool projects I might want to start. I suppose I could make them in single player but what fun is that? Tongue
I would like to know why the server needs to update a map????
Because of new block types and biomes that get spawned when the world is generated. If the server was still using a map generated in version 1.7 there would be no andesite, diorite, granite, etc. in the world.

With the next minecraft update 1.9 there appears to be mostly changes to the end, so when that version comes out it will likely be that we regenerate only what's in the end, leaving everything in the overworld untouched.

-Hawaii
I can say that we will be keeping the current map, DC9, for at least another year. When the map has run its course, it will be available for download.

Like Hawaii1026 said, the next update is a combat and End update, so the overworld won't need to be touched. If future updates offer updates to the overworld, we will work on providing access to these changes without changing the main map.